Tuesday, January 17, 2006

london 16.1

on sunday I arrived to the city of cities (ok, maybe a bit much said)
at ten and met jael. we went to calvary and had cappucinos. lovely to see her
after such a long time. she and salvador are renovating their new home. and what a palace it will be! 2 living rooms, 4 bedrooms and three floors. cant wait to visit them!

thet towards speakers corner.
the place hasnt changed one bit. though this time there werent too many people there. (maybe cause people here actually think that +5 is cold..) but yeah, still quite many people shouting and heckling each other.
I met hamza, wich was really nice. and again realized that Ive changed. cause this muslim guy came up as I was catching up with hamza. he started with paul. and how paul actually didnt believe that Jesus was God. and I really didnt feel like getting in to debates with him. so I kind of just nodded and listened to him.
I cant believe Ive actually done it! stood in the middle of about 15 muslim men and thrown words without really being heard. but well, those were good times and I learned a lot. and its cool still to know the faces of the people going there and say hi to them
I met the algerian tarek as well. havent seen him in about 1 and a half a year. his english was way better than the last time.
some day sick will be healed down at speakers corner. come on Jesus! not only in speech, but in action and love.

after corner and saying bye to dear jael I heded to swiss cottage tube where chris met me. so good to see him again! I threw my luggage to their cool crazy actor flat and we left to the central. to attend a hillsong service.
that was an experience. and maybe if I would be wise I wouldnt write anything about it. but still I will :) but yeah, I dont mean to just critize it, Ill just write what I saw and thought.

hillsong london meets in this really big theatre right at the central of london. hillsong jackets, smiling faces, beautiful people, flashy lights and a big band. and did I mention there were about 2000 people. in one service. the worship was huge. basically it was kind of like watching a show. the lyrics were good. yeah.
then there was a speech. about tithing. and how when we come together everyone has something to bring and that way we can build the house of God. felt kind of unreal/sad/frustrating/appalling that the guy was actually talking about money.
then there was a short speech and invitation to help those who are less fortunate than we.
and then the teaching. which I have already heard.
we walked out in the middle of it. and it took a while to get it out of you. but a good experience.
chris told me that hillsong is the fastest growing church in london.

while I was in the 24-7meeting in dresden I heard a really good talk about justice. how justice and working for it isnt just giving one day out of your week to go to a foodline and had a sandwich to some homeless person. (ok, not saying its a bad thing. but there could be something more, could there?) fighting for justice and helping out "those less fortunate than us" should actually be handing your life, becoming friends with people, sharing lives, even sufferings.
doesnt it kind of get the edge out of things if a preacher or a missionworker cruises to the "poor people" with his brand new cadillac (Im actually really bad with cars..is cadillac a fancy one or not. well anyways,you get my point) hands some money maybe and couple of kind words and cruises away happily.

so, then anyways, back to london. afterwards walked through leicester square and I inhaled london. hanging out with chris was awesome and relaxing. nice to hear what has been going on in his life after prague. we had a small worship moment when he finally agreed to expose his great gifts of singing and playing. silent prayer and worship, just what I needed.
then I also got another favourite here in london. (I have quite many of those already..)
chris took me to primrose hill, from where you have this beautiful view over london.

jesus, you know this city, and love it. please take care of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

Laura, let me just say I understand your experience with the Hillsong church! And it is good to finally read about your journey in England

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more about Hillsong.
I feel exactly the same. But I hope that they
will change their ways about begging for money :)

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home